Friday, April 01, 2011

"Celebration of Fibers' Awards

A few days ago I posted about putting 2 pieces in the Philadelphia Guild of Handweavers' Annual Exhibit.  Well I am happy to say that both of my pieces won awards! My black triangular shawl, "Raspberry Seduction" (I just love that name!) won the Kathryn Wellman Memorial Award for imaginative weaving incorporating design, color, and texture.  I am so thrilled to have won this award. Kathryn Wellman was one of the founders of the Philadelphia Guild of Handweavers which was started in 1952. I have a connection to Kathryn Wellman.  When I bought my first floor loom I purchased it used from a woman who worked with Kathryn Wellman. That was how I first came to know who she was. She was a physical therapist who was noted for using weaving in her therapies.  I think she must have been a very creative woman to, in the 50's and 60's, be noted in her field for these weaving therapies. I am thrilled to receive the award with that spirit and to have my work considered a part of that imaginative genre.



The other award was given to my warp painted, hand dyed, loop scarf titled "Sunset". It is the PGHW Award for Hand-Dyeing for the best use of hand-dyed fiber, dyed by the artist. Here again I am honored to be listed with those who have received this award before me.  Many of them have been my teachers. 





The judges for the exhibit were Deborah Warner, Professor and Chair of the Textile Department at Moore College of Art in Phildelphia, PA, (see video at http://www.moore.edu/about_moore/mission_history/oral_histories/deborah_warner ) and Ed Bing Lee, an artist who works in the fiber technique of knotting (see video at http://www.edbinglee.com/ ). I have admired Ed's work for a very long time.

You can find more information about the creation of these pieces at earlier posts, http://studiojottings.blogspot.com/2011/02/weavette-loom.html and http://studiojottings.blogspot.com/2010/06/weaving-process.html .


No comments:

Post a Comment