Friday, April 08, 2011

Habitat for Humanity: Warm HeARTS Project

I've finished all 5 grids in this project!  Last night I added the hanging tabs which are made out of apron ties and I covered the backs of the pieces with black felt.  On the felt I sewed apron pockets and wrote the title of each piece on apron ties.  The final pieces will be presented with a copper tube and porcelain knobs for hanging and attaching to the wall.

I am so excited about completing this challenge.  It  took me out of my comfort zone but also gave me a chance to explore the artistic side of me and to play.  Will it be something I'll do again?  The challenge, yes.  the actual gird weaving project, maybe. As I was doing it my mind began to think of possibilities.  I have extra apron strips left sooooooooooooooo-------------why  not use them! 

Lets explore possibilities.  I thought it might be fun to braid the strips into Mandalas and pass them on just for fun. Free art for anyone who will except it!  (Check out Jane Dunnewold's blog post http://existentialneighborhood.blogspot.com/2011/04/guerilla-acts-of-making.html ) Mandalas are sacred circles.  They provide a centering along the journey.  And who doesn't need some centering these days! 

Would love to hear your ideas on Salvage Art or how I might use the apron strips I have left.  What do you think I should do?

While you are thinking and coming up with ideas, here are a few pictures of the process of weaving the grids and the pieces.

Weaving Beach House

Close up of weaving





















Third piece of "Warm HeARTS Make a Home" 



Felt backing for one of the grids in "Warm HeARTs Make a Home"

Attaching the felt backing with title and apron pocket
After using clothes pins to hold the glued felt down, I remembered that I had these clips that quilter's use to hold the fabric in place when  sewing on bindings.  They worked great and didn't leave an impression on the felt.

Beach House


The Cottage
I'm hoping to have the finished pieces photographed by my photographer friend, Mike Ritter of Ritterbin Photography, http://www.ritterbin.com/. I'll post final pictures after I receive them. 

You can see the pieces in person at the Habitat for Humanity "Salvage Art" Auction on April 29, 2011 at the Plymouth Center for the Arts in Plymouth, MA. Go to http://www.hfhplymouth.org/ for tickets and more information.

Hope to see you at the auction!

4 comments:

  1. It was a pleasure meeting you today at the Habitat office. I was completely in awe of the piece we so carefully unwrapped - beautiful! You have a tremendous talent and Habitat is very blessed to have you participate in this event!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments. I enjoyed meeting you also and putting a face to the voice on the phone. Glad you like my work. I hope it raises lots of money for Habitat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica Harrington4:16 PM

    Judy, what a nice blog! They turned out really well, much more than I could imagine! It takes a lot of vision to put something like this together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the kudos, Jessica. I hope they sell at a high price for Habitat! :)

    ReplyDelete