Friday, June 11, 2010

The Weaving Process

Some of my work is called "painted warp". I've talked about his before on my blog and if you go back in the archives you can find pictures of the actual dying process. Today I want to show you what happens after the painted warp is put on the loom and the weaving process begins. After the warp is beamed, threaded, and tied onto the front apron bar the weaving process begins. One of the challenges with painted warp is finding a color to weave that will blend with the variety of color that has been dyed into the yarn. Sometimes the choice is an easy analogous one and other times the yarn must act as a neutral to work with many colors as in my "Faith Element" Series Scarves. The pictures here are of a warp I am weaving for my new "Loop Scarves". This warp is in an analogous color scheme.

The blue, purple and green dyes were painted on the yarn and blended together to produce very subtle color variations. The pattern is a 6 shaft broken twill variation.


















Come see the finished product at the South Shore Art Center Arts Festival June 18-20 on the Cohasset Common in Cohasset, MA. Check my website for details, http://www.judyconnorjones.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment