Friday, November 16, 2012

Reflection, New Beginnings, and Possibilities


Close up of Triangular Shawl by Judy Connor Jones
Photographer - Mike Ritter, Ritterbin Photography
This year has been a year of reflection and new beginnings for me and my business.  It has been a year of growth and new directions.  The funny thing is, many times this happens as a result of struggle and disappointment.  Believe me, 2011 brought plenty of that!  But if it hadn't happened I would still be doing the "same old thing" and wondering why the business was struggling.  Taking this year, 2012, to rethink how I do things has been a blessing.  It hasn't all been easy as I tried new markets and shows  not knowing if they would be successful or not.  Financially I worried whether I would make enough to handle all the ongoing business expenses.  The economy didn't help as my costs rose and my buyers had their own financial concerns to worry about.

A friend reminded me that I have "Dwell in Possibilities" stenciled across my studio steps.  (Sometimes we need to be reminded of our own mantras!) So I returned to that mantra and realized, once again, that there are loads of possibilities out there.  I just have to grab on!

So 2012 has been a year of grabbing onto possibilities. Sometimes they work and other times they don't and may even fail miserably.  But think about it.  A failed possibility can be turned into a learning experience which then leads to another possibility. Hope abounds! I am the eternal optimist!

As a result of  my reflecting, rethinking, taking risks, and looking for the possibilities 2012 has turned out pretty good.  I took the financial risk to develop my website to be more than a "splash page".  I had new photography done. I designed new woven items.  I worked on my social media presence. And I approached a friend to produce some videos which I will be able to use on my website.  I began to think about other ways to sell my work and as a result I have representation in four galleries in different parts of the country.  As an artist I am learning how to partner with these galleries and new relationships are forming.  You can visit the websites of these galleries by going to my website, www.JudyConnorJones.com, and clicking on the  Shows and Events page. If you live in or visit any of those places please support these small businesses. They work very hard to display and sell artist's work. Many of them have Facebook pages so you can Like them and get news feeds about what's happen in their gallery.

Artist Exposure Gallery in Plymouth, MA
Next week is Thanksgiving and I have much to be thankful for.  As I look to 2013, I am full of possibilities for new designs and am thankful for the time I have had to rejuvenate my creative soul.  Most of all I am thankful that "Possibilities" always exist.  I ask for the wisdom to recognize them!

Wishing all of you a Happy Thanksgiving and the gift of seeing the "Possibilities" around you.








No comments:

Post a Comment