Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Plymouth Art Stroll

I'm getting ready to do the Plymouth Art Stroll on Saturday the 15th. It is in conjunction with the opening of The Plymouth Art Guild's Annual Tent Show which opens on Friday night. I was lucky enough to have 2 pieces accepted into the show this year. They had 500 entries and only accept around 200 pieces.

This is one of the pieces accepted into the show. Sorry the picture isn't better. I shot it quickly in my studio just for reference. It is a shrug made out of cotton and rayon chenille with a hand-dyed (by "moi") silk bound edge. The other piece acepted was a painted warp scarf from the Faith Elements series called "Spiritual Path".


The Art Stroll is a wonderful town event. Artists are paired up with businesses and can demonstrate and sell their work. I am paired up with a high end clothing shop called "Collections on Court". I will have one of my smaller looms there and will demonstrate weaving along with letting others try their hand at throwing the shuttle across the warp. It is a wonderful way for people to get a small taste of what it is like to weave and the whole working process of an artist. I look forward to doing it because it gives me a chance to touch base with customers , do some educating about what I do, and it is a fun day out of the studio. It's so easy for us artists to become so isolated from the world when we are working in our studios. We become self-absorbed and the world can easily pass us by. I look forward to connecting with those who are curious about my work and how it is made. I also look forward to introducing weaving and the world of textiles to maybe just that one person who would like to learn more! The world can always use another weaver in more ways than one!



If you live near Plymouth, come visit me on Saturday, chat, and try your hand at weaving.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Judy!

    I really like your blog. I keep forgetting to look at it, so thanks for sending out the reminders. The shrug is beautiful. I wish I could see the wrap. Mostly I wish I could be East this weekend. Would love to go to your show.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete