Thursday, October 23, 2008

Art in Our Lives

My son had surgery on Tuesday. At 28 he had his tonsils taken out! When he was a child as long as tonsils did not become infected doctors would not take them out. My son has always had sleep breathing problems. At 4 they took out his adenoids but not the tonsils even though every doctor who looked down his throat gasped in disbelief at how large they were! Well, his breathing problems have become worse and the decision to take out the tonsils was finally made.

So we sat in the waiting area at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston hoping that he would be able to go home at the end of the day. At some point I decided to walk around this huge building and discovered some very interesting art work in the public areas of the lobby and some hallways. I was struck with how the art work relieved the tension of all the worries and anxieties that are present in a hospital. It was very comforting to explore the world of these artists. The work was more than just pretty, it was thought provoking in a beautiful and innovative way. I only wish there had been more of it throughout the dim walls to the recovery room and maybe even in the recovery area.



Art hits us when we don't expect it. It is all around us in nature but we need to remember to surround our unnatural settings with as much of it as possible. It does sooth the soul and I'm sure it helps heal the body in ways yet unimaginable.

My son is recovering (lots of ice cream and Popsicles!). He'll be fine but I know he never saw the art work as it was in places he did not go. He's at home where he has his grandmother's art work on the wall. I hope it provides some comfort.

Get well Chris!

No comments:

Post a Comment