Sunday, February 08, 2009

Crayons and Creativity!


I am reading a book by Madeleine L'Engle called Walking on Water, Reflections on Faith and Art. In it she quotes Finley Eversole who wrote The Politics of Creativity. He states that by "the age of 5, 90% of the population measures high creativity. By the age of 7, the figure has dropped to 10%" and by adulthood "high creativity is only 2 %!"

I find that staggering and sad that at the age of entering school creativity drops by 80% in 2 short years! Madeleine's point is that most of us as children have an innate ability for creativity but we are often discouraged from using it and developing it. It is only the few who survive. No wonder so many adults say, I'm not creative. I hear it all the time.

A child creates all the time with imaginary play but is soon discouraged in order to grow up and learn the facts. How sad to loose this ability! Think back to your childhood. Remember the smell of that new box of crayons? Remember how it felt to try all the colors? So, what blocks were put in your way from developing your creative ability? Mine was a Jr. High School Art teacher! Of all people she should have known better and been more encouraging! It took me to adulthood to realize that I did have some creative ability that needed to be developed. My wonderful artistic mother-in-law said, "You can do it!" and encouraged me.
As a person of Faith, I've come to believe that a Creator who made beings in his/her image would also give them the ability to create. We just have to use it!
Let me know how you explore your innate creative ability. I'd love to hear.


"All Artists Begin with a Box of Crayons"
(Detail of multi-media wall hanging done by me to honor the 100th birthday of Crayola Crayons. Images were scanned and printed from my computer printer onto cotton fabric. They were sewn together in "crazy quilt" fashion with my handwoven fabric and then embellished with stitching and buttons.)

8 comments:

  1. Love it Judy!
    Now you know my secret; arrested development at 6 - or to quote A.A. Milne's poem "The End":

    When I was One,
    I had just begun.

    When I was Two,
    I was nearly new.

    When I was Three,
    I was hardly Me.

    When I was Four,
    I was not much more.

    When I was Five,
    I was just alive.

    But now I am Six, I'm as clever as clever.
    So I think I'll be six now for ever and ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the poem, Heidi. It's perfect!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wasn't it Picasso who commented that the purpose of most art education is to teach children that they aren't artists? By insisting that grass is only green, sky must be blue, otherwise creative minds are squeezed into the confines of convention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Judy,

    I wanted to comment on "Snowy Day" but thought to do it here in case you might miss it. I've noticed what you describe as well, how much place influences the colors I am drawn to and use in my work. I've been experimenting more with shifu, and have woven with it. I love the effect of the "slubs". Thank you so much for introducing me to this process. It looks really beautiful when backlit. I'm considering using it in an installation I'm brainstorming for Attleboro Arts Museums upcoming show. I'm glad that you are doing well, and yes I'm feeling more proud of my nationality these days as well! Talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Richard, even though my Jr High experience was not the best, I have to say in defense of some art teachers, mainly a good friend of mine, that is not always true. Vickie, if you read this, know that I consider you the best elementary art teacher I have ever met. You are encouraging, helpful, and enthusiastic. I loved visiting your school art shows. They were always very creative! I wish you had been my teacher! Oh, yea, in many ways you are!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meaghan,

    So glad to hear that you are using the Shifu technique. I'd love to see what you are doing. Send me an invitation to the opening.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Judy,

    I love this. It seems totally out of your element. Actually reminds me of your hats with added embelishment. The printed fabric is new but a nice bonus.

    Not so long ago there was discussion about taking art out of high schools all together. That would be a great disapointment to all. Afetr all where would that have left all of us :) ????

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete