Sunday, January 25, 2009

Art In Our Lives


I often look at the Obituary page of our newspaper and read about the lives of the people listed there. Many of them I wish I had known. One caught my eye this morning. Her name was Dina Vierny and she was a model for French Sculptor, Aristide Maillol. She also modeled for artists Henri Matisse and Pierre Bonnard. Her life was interesting but the thing that really impressed me was what her sons said about her. They said, "she spent a lifetime passionately attached to art". Wow, what a statement - "Passionately attached to art"! They didn't say, devoted or interested. They said "passionately attached"! To me that means that art was so much a part of her being that she couldn't help but be passionate and she would never be separated from it.

What a wonderful thing for sons to say about their mother who not only was a model for artists but also a collector of art and a gallery owner. They understood how much art was a part of who she was as a person. And even more, they honored that with the wonderful descriptive phrase, "passionately attached to art".

As an artist I can understand that phrase completely. I've learned that I have always looked at things with an artist's eyes. I have not always known that about myself. Others who saw that in me made me take notice. There is a passion inside me for art that invades all I do and I cannot let go of it.
So I can relate to Dina Vierny even though I never met her. What a beautiful lady you were.


1 comment:

  1. It really funny that you read obituaries because I do the same. It's often sad when you read one of someone young. I often wonder how they died? did they know? Given my experiences I often feel that subconsciously you are aware. Yesterday I was talking with my mom and this topic came up...How my life would have been different if certain things didn't happen. I wouldn't take back or change things that have happened to me. Even though they were horrible and I would not wish it to happen to my worst enemy I realize all the ways I have changed and grown and understand life more because of it. At the same time I feel like it took away my innocence to life. This often causes a cross road in my head for lack of better explanation. I wish I could be free from over thinking, more carefree.. I can look back and see how different I was before. I guess my main point is that death, traumatic experiences, experiences in general, people that interrupt or you encounter though out your life change how and who you are. But sometimes you read something, or hear something that makes you realize you are not alone.

    ReplyDelete