Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Perils of Selling

This blog entry is a sad one for me to write. In the almost 20 years that I have been selling my work I have never had such a loss of inventory as recently. My work was sent to a show in Monmouth County, NJ. I will not mention the name as I wish to protect the show hosts. My work was received and inventoried and at some point before the show one whole box of items was missing. That box contained chenille tops and painted warp scarves to the total retail value of $1800. It's all gone! Someone must know what happened to it. The show hosts have searched diligently for it and are as upset about it as I am. They were entrusted with the items and feel very responsible even though they took precautions to make sure they were in a secure place. They know that someone got the key and was in the closet without permission. Other than that they do not know anymore.

If you read this blog and live within that area, please be on the look out for handwoven chenille tops and scarves that seem like they are in the wrong place and please notify me immediately. Even though the show will reimburse me for the loss, I would rather have the items back and sell them to someone who really appreciates them.
I now have a big job of working twice as hard to replace what was lost. Some items were one of a kind. My painted warp scarves are always limited production as I usually only produce about 12 per year.
It is such a sad commentary that this should happen. Maybe they were misplaced and they will be found, but hopes of that dwindle as time goes on.
The items lost are similar to these only in different colors. There were both Crop Tops and Tunic Tops in the box in size Small, Medium, and Large.




1 comment:

  1. Oh, Judy, my heart breaks for you. I will keep you in my prayers. I hope your work turns up. I am in Ohio at a silk dyeing class. I called home and got your message. I am sorry I missed your call. I will call after Easter. I am okay. Moving forward.

    Always,
    Sunshine

    ReplyDelete