Monday, May 04, 2009

New Design

Well, after years of saying I want to design a jacket, I have finally done it! It still needs a few tweaks but I thought I would lead you through the design process.

It begins with an idea! It then is put into a crude drawing and from there a simple pattern is made and the jacket is first made out of muslin. All design corrections and tweaks are made to the muslin. The first designs are always done in a size that fits me. I adjust for other sizes later.




















After making adjustments to the pattern, I transfer all makings to my handwoven fabric and cut the pieces out.


They are then sewn together, another fitting is done, and additional changes and adjustments are made. Many times this involves taking stitches out, re-cutting, and then sewing back together. It's a long process of getting things to fit correctly.

Adjustments are made to the pattern and a lining pattern is made. The lining is sewn and added to the jacket. I chose to just line the body of the jacket and leave the sleeves lining free. I found a really silky polyester fabric for the lining. It is a beautiful weight, drapes nicely, and will not wrinkle.




















More tweaking is done! The closure design is worked out. My signature covered buttons are added. And a jacket is born!


The jacket can be worn one of three ways. One way is as pictured above with one lapel showing and the other fastened. The other two ways are pictured below.




















An interchangeable snap with my other signature, the butterfly, hides the snap on the front. The butterfly is my signature of hope and new life. I usually put it on my handwoven purses and sometimes the knitted ones.

I'd love to hear what you think of this new design. Send me comments. Happy Creating!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Judy, I always knew that you were very talented but you have outdone yourself this time. The jacket is wonderful and to be able to wear it 3 different ways is incredible. I am so happy to be able to call you a friend and a very talented one indeed!

    ReplyDelete