Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Show Buzz!

I'm on a roll now doing fall shows. Some have been very good and one in particular was very bad. The weekend didn't start out promising as the weather people were forecasting rainy, windy, cold weather. In other words, a Nor'easter! And this was an outdoor show! Saturday was actually a nice day, a little cold but the sun was visible for most of the day. However, sales were not good. Sunday turned out to be a miserable day. Remember that rain, wind and cold! Well add snow to the mix! The event coordinator would not let exhibitors leave or close the show despite the fact that very few people came through the gate and those who did, I discovered, thought it was an indoor show! They too were not happy to be trudging around in such horrible conditions. So my question is where do you draw the line between keeping a show open and risking the health and well being of not only your exhibitors but also your paying guests? When threatened by a promoter that if you leave you will not be invited back to a show, do you suffer and risk inventory, display equipment, and health being ruined or compromised in order to be invited back?! Where is the concern and respect from the promoter for the artist and their work? After all, we are the ones who are bringing in the gate fee!

When telling my banker about my horrible weekend, she asked if they had paid me to be there or did I pay for the space to sell my work. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! A light bulb went on when I said, I paid for the space! What's wrong with this picture!

I have more respect for myself and my work than to be subjected to the "power control" driven promoter who has little regard for the artists who make the event a success. If you want to know what show it was, write your e-mail in the comment section and I will e-mail you privately. I cannot recommend this show because of the way we were all treated when the weather and going got rough. A little understanding and appreciation would have gone a looooooooooong way.

I tried to take a picture of the snow coming down as we packed up the car. The video was on accidentally and I must have turned the camera sideways. I can't figure out how to rotate it. The rotate buttons don't work for the video clip. If anyone knows how to do this let me know. In the mean time, just rotate your neck!!!!!!

The snow flakes were silver dollar size (remember silver dollars?!)


My next show is indoors! Yeah! It's in Cambridge, MA at St Peter's Episcopal Church. The show is called "ART on the PEWS"! I love that!!! I'm looking forward to being there. Stop by and see me if you are in the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment