Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Mini Loop Scarves and Tassle Hats

I designed some new items a few weeks ago for the Duxbury Show.  Using the loop scarf idea I created a mini loop scarf that when worn looks like a rufled collar or very fancy wrapped scarf.

The technique uses differential shrinkage to create the ruffles.  The principle is based on the fact that different yarns shrink at different rates.  Wool shrinks at a faster rate than silk or tencel. Having that knowledge gives me a wealth of design possibilities.  So how does it begin?

I first make a sample weaving.  This tells me how close to sett the yarn and where to place the yarns that I want to shrink.  It gives me a chance to play around with different color possibilites and to observe what happens when the yarns are woven and then washed.
 
Woven Sampler

From the sampler I make adjustments to the warp on the loom and decide what colors I will use in the weft. Then the piece is woven.




After twisting the fringe and washing, the scarf is ready for someone to wear.

Finished Mini Loop Scarf





Another new item for me is my Tassle Hat.  When I went into my stash of extra woven fabric, I played around with it to make a more informal hat than my beret style hat.  I added a spiral tassle and a handwoven flower and VOILA, a hat is born!

  



 These hats have lots of additude for the fun loving person.

If you are in the Plymouth, MA area you can see both of these items at my Holiday Studio Open House on Saturday, December 4.  Check my website for details, http://www.judyconnorjones.com/.   

I love to hear your comments about my work especially new pieces so leave a comment and tell me what you think. You can also help others know about my work by passing on this blog for them to read and comment.

"Here's looking at you kid"! (I just saw Cassablanca the other night and couldn't resist using the quote.  That's a great movie!)



No comments:

Post a Comment