Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Liturgical Stole

For a long time I have entertained the idea of weaving Liturgical pieces.  This is quite astonishing since I come from a non-liturgical denomination where the church liturgical calendar and liturgy was never a priority. Over the last 20 -25 years I have learned the colors for the various seasons and am interested in how these colors are used in the church calendar. I am also interested in how textiles play such an important part in the whole ecclesiastical environment.

In the previous post I talked about the participatory art installation that I worked on for Advent.  Along with this I designed a stole for my husband for the Advent season. I had painted a warp over a year ago with the idea that I would make a stole. I used a combination of blue and red dyes so that the colorway goes from blue to purple throughout the stole.  This combines the traditional  Advent color of purple with the new color of blue.The warp was woven and then FEAR and PROCRASTINATION set in!  It wasn't until this year that I pushed myself to explore new territory. I forged ahead sewing the stole and hoped that it would lie flat and stay where it was supposed to stay.  It did!  My husband loved it and wore it throughout Advent. 

So here is the finished stole on my husband.  What do you think?


2 comments:

  1. Good for you, Judy! I know your husband is delighted his stole for Advent is finished.
    Sorry I did not make the meeting when you brought the stole to show me. My life always seems to be too busy.
    With a little push I will complete the calculations, secure more pearl cotton if needed, and get this show on the road for Kathy's green stole.
    You have inspired me. Blessings, Bette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I can inspire you, Bette. I can't wait to see your finished stole!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete