Friday, April 22, 2011

Return to Triangular Shawls


I've returned to making one of a kind triangular shawls. I actually stopped working on this one midway so I could work on the Habitat pieces.  In this shawl I combined 4 yarns and used them as one.  This is what I am known for in my work - the use of many colors to form one.  It pushes the limit of this loom since it is made for a single use yarn.  I am not one to let color be stagnant.  The color must move across the cloth. This provides depth and keeps the cloth from looking flat. I am so happy with the way this piece turned out.  I think it is the best so far. What do you think? Not only did I combine several colors, I also used yarns with a lot of texture.  There is a very slubby variegated rayon yarn, a smooth rayon and silk yarn, a smooth rayon ribbon,  and a small nubby rayon yarn. They all combine to make an interesting warp and weft of colors and textures. I also used an open weave novelty yarn with a lovely sheen to it as an accent yarn.

Working with 4 yarns at once is a bit of a challenge but that is what this process has been all about,  challenging not only myself but the equipment I use. It seems like I am into challenges these days.  That is what the Habitat project was also about. 

So here's the latest addition to my triangular shawl inventory.  Let me know what you think.  This blog encourages discussion, thoughts, and ideas.



On the loom in process


Close up on the loom

Finished Shawl - "Spring Garden"

I think I will give these shawls a rest for a while.  I have other ideas I want to work on and I am anxious to get back to weaving on my floor looms. I miss the rhythm of weaving on a floor loom.  Stay tuned to see what I do next.   

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful work. I, too use multiple yarns for triangle loom work. I do find it hard to keep all the bundling in the appropriate row. I like to weave extra rows at the top to tighten that edge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kudos on my work. I like the idea of adding extra rows to the top. I wonder though how it affects the drape across the shoulder. In knitting if the bound edge is too tight, the edge loses its elasticity. I will experiment with this. Thanks for sharing the idea.

    ReplyDelete