Wednesday, July 25, 2007

NEWS

Well, I'm back from the NEWS conference and am mulling over all the wonderful things I saw that inspired me. So much to do, so little time! That definitely could be my mantra both at the conference and now after the conference. It was fast paced trying to see all the exhibits, going to class, eating, shopping in the vendor hall, chatting with other weavers, and attending the evening lectures and fun events. The treasure hunt at WEBS yarns was a blast! And the chocolate that was served was to die for!!!!!


I had a wonderful time meeting old friends, staying up till after midnight talking, and also getting to know some new friends. Mary Alice and I became fast friends at the salad bar when we couldn't reach across to the other side to get the item we wanted. The buddy system works great in these instances!




Do I look a little exhausted here? This was the last day of the conference and this is one of my dear friends who I haven't seen since we left NJ 2 years ago. We had a lot of catching up to do.

It's been a long time since I stayed in a dormitory room. Does it look a little monkish?


The room was not too bad but it was across the hall from the elevator and the bathroom. Convenient for me but why were those woman up at 5 am taking their showers for the day! It's not often that I see that time of morning. I have to wonder what kind of person is functioning and ready to go at 5am?!!!!!! I am definitely a later riser! To make it to class by 8:30 was a stretch! My brain doesn't wake up until 10am . And with out my cup of tea, it's all over!

On the more serious side, I took a 2 day class with Jackie Abrams who makes baskets out of paper. They are bias plaiting technique. I have admired her work for years and felt very lucky to take a class with her. Her work is exhibited in shows like the Philadelphia Museum Fine Craft Show.

That's Jackie with 2 of her baskets.
Here is my meager attempt at the technique.





This is a pillow basket.

Here are the beginnings of a cylinder basket.












My mind is spinning with new ideas. I bought some beautiful yarns from HABU yarns and I am anxious to use them. I also am designing in my mind new pieces of cloth and new garments. I only hope that I get to make them before the ideas dissipate.


No comments:

Post a Comment