Thursday, December 11, 2008

Baking traditions

I'm going to deviate from talking about weaving to talk about baking traditions. I learned how to make Baklava or Paklava (Armenian) today. I had a wonderful day with a woman from my church who makes the best Paklava. When I asked her if she would be willing to pass the recipe on to me and teach me how to make it, she said yes! Today was the day. We had a wonderful time, not only making the Paklava but sharing each other's stories about our lives and the paths we have gone down. And the Baklava came out good. Not as good as she makes it but she has many years of practice on me. Someday I'll be able to pass on the recipe to someone close or dear to me and share her story that now is blended with mine.
I love family traditions. They are what brings people together with a common thread. There's that fiber reference! I knew I couldn't stay away from it.
You know weaving has those same traditions that have been passed down from the people I call our "weaving treasures". A few summers ago I met one of my "weaving treasures" It is a woman named Joyce Harter. She was at a weaving conference where I was manning my friend's gallery booth. She came in and sat down and began telling us her weaving story. It was wonderful!!! She was so willing to share and teach! I'll never forget it.

There have been others like that, my first weaving teacher, the "weaving mothers" in the Rochester Guild, the study group women in the Philadelphia Guild, and I could go on and on and on. Some are famous, others are not. It doesn't matter. What matters is that they love to share their stories. And I am richer for that.

This Holiday Season, seek out someone you consider a "treasure", spend an hour or a day with them sharing your stories. You will be glad you did.


"Dancing Ladies" by Cheryl Olney of Louise's Daughter.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing our work with your readers. They look great on your wall! Looking over a few of your posts, you are a great writer and story teller. I especially enjoyed your warp and weft description of our wonderfully and colorfully woven country!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To Louise's Son-in-law: these wonderful dancing ladies are dancing up the steps to my studio where the words, "Dwell in Possibilities" is written on the steps. I love your Mother-in-law's work and am so happy to have them greet me every morning. I'm glad you enjoy my blog posts.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Louise's son-in-law: As I was threading my loom today putting on the last order for this year, I realized that I wrote the wrong relationship to Cheryl in my previous post. My apologies. I know that you, Cheryl's husband, work very closely with Cheryl in Louise's Daughter's business. You are a great team. Wishing you and Cheryl a Holiday Season full of Joy.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete