Thursday, July 01, 2010

A Brief Encounter


Pierre Tullier died last week. I've been thinking a lot about this. (Pierre is second from the left in the picture.) Why should this be important to me? I met Pierre about a year ago when my husband and I traveled to Washington, DC for his Page School Reunion. (I won't tell you how many years but let's just say it was during the 60's.) Jeff and Pierre were Pages together and spent many high school days working in the Senate and going to class at 6:30 in the morning! It was fun hearing about the "Glory Days" and all the things that went on behind the scenes with the various Senators, the remembrances of the Kennedy brothers, Martin Luther King , Lyndon Johnson and the social gatherings with Lucy Baines Johnson . It was interesting to hear the insights to all that was happening politically during the Vietnam years. Everyone agreed that they were present during a very unforgettable and unique time in American history.

Pierre and I had several conversations about life and business. He was very interested in what I did as a weaver and fiber artist. He took my card, the weekend ended and everyone went their separate ways. That was my first brief encounter with Pierre Tullier.

The second encounter was when I received a call last December and much to my surprise it was
Pierre. He had kept my card and wanted to buy scarves as presents for his family members. Thinking he was talking about 5 or 6 scarves, I was blown away when he said I'll take all the chenille scarves you have in stock!!! That was 29 scarves! Trying to maintain my cool (like this happens all the time!) I was happy to oblige! Little did Pierre know that after I hung up the phone there was a lot of dancing around the studio!!!!!! So Pierre had entered my life again in a another brief encounter.


I don't think Pierre knew that his purchase "made my year" and helped my struggling business survive and make a profit. I don't think Pierre knew that it helped me to make the last 2 quarters of my Social Security requirements. I don't think Pierre knew that it enabled me to think differently about my work and aim for better, more expensive shows. I owe a big thank you to him.

But then again, maybe he had an inkling of how important that sale was. He knew that my business was trying to get back off the ground after moving to MA. He knew that I had hopes and dreams to expand. He knew that an artist's life is unpredictable. But I also think he knew and understood the passion that comes with the work of an artist. He was a wonderful photographer himself.

My connection to Pierre was too short. We encounter people briefly all the time and then they are gone out of our lives. Sometimes it is more significant then other times but life makes no promises. It's important to live each encounter to the fullest no matter how brief. I liked Pierre. I wish we had more opportunities for extended encounters. I grieve for his family and wish them God's abundant peace and love in the days to come.

So where did all those 29 scarves go? I don't know but I hope the recipients are wearing them with both Pierre's and my blessings.





























6 comments:

  1. Wow! I have goosebumps after reading about your encounter with Pierre. What a beautiful and poignant story. I am planning on seeing you in Delaware at the end of the month. I can't wait to see you. Hope you and yours are well. I miss you.

    Always, Sunshine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see you. Miss you too and all our great talks. We must keep the encounters happening no matter what the distance!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I am one of Pierre's nieces and I received one of your beautiful scarves for Christmas from him. I treasure it as a gift from my uncle and also for the beautiful work of art that it is. Thank you, this post really means a lot to me. And I wish you could have seen us at the Christmas party when we all got to pick out the one we wanted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judy, It is wonderful to read about my brother, Pierre. He told us a little about you when he gave us the scarves. We knew it would probably be our last Christmas all together. He has 6 sisters and 2 brothers. We love the scarves which we each picked out. They are luxurious. Our family Christmas celebration was in Maryland. He was the sweetest man and well-loved. Michelle TullierHarder

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judy,
    I am Sandra, Pierre's wife, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for posting the memories and story of "the scarves" and how Pierre blessed you and your business!

    Pierre was wonderful man who appreciated art and the work and talent involved to produce the finished product.

    He was especially excited to buy all the scarves for his sisters, children and grandchildren this past Christmas! In fact, I gave mine to a granddaughter, so there will be another order from me! This is a great reminder.

    I'm sorry I was not with Pierre at the gathering of Pages, and know I would have loved being there to listen to those stories too.

    Thank you once again for posting the "Pierre Story". You have really blessed me!

    Sandra Tullier

    ReplyDelete
  6. To Emilie, Michelle, & Sandra,

    Thank you so much for sharing with me how special Pierre was to each of you and how much you appreciate the gift of the scarves. I am happy to know in whose hands the scarves have arrived.

    Sandra, I'm sure we would have had a great time together if you had been able to come to DC. Sorry to have missed meeting you. Maybe our paths will cross some day and we can share that time together.

    I am so happy that you all loved the scarves. It gives me great joy to connect with the people who wear my work.

    Blessings for all the journeys ahead,

    Judy

    ReplyDelete