Monday, February 14, 2011

"Habitat for Humanity" Project

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

Since today is Valentine's Day and everyone talks about Hearts, I thought I would like to tell you
about the "Habitat for Humanity" Project I am working on.  "Habitat for Humanity" invited artists
in the Plymouth area to go to the Habitat Restore and choose an item to re-purpose into an art
piece.  This piece will be auctioned off to raise money for Habitat.  The project is called 
"Warm HeARTS, Warm Homes Celebration".  The auction will take place April 30 at The
Plymouth Center for the Arts in Plymouth, MA.  We were invited to recycle, re-purpose, beautify, and have fun!  So I took the challenge.

I went to the restore which is a great place to explore and chose an item, actually several, to work with.  Here's what I chose:

Grids and knobs

I began to think about that phrase, "Warm HeARTS, Warm Homes", and the thought that came to me was APRONS!  Aprons represent a bygone error of home cooked meals, families sitting around a table, and mom or grandma enjoying creating  some culinary delight.  OK, so that was the bygone era!  To bring it up to speed and be PC correct, aprons today may be somewhat of a dinosaur but I think they still represent a time when someone, male or female, takes the time to bake or cook something for another person. There is a nice warm, cozy feeling that happens around a good meal or a favorite pastry that is enjoyed by the whole family or that someone special.  So, I have asked friends and family to search their closets and maybe attics for their used old aprons (or maybe grandma's used old apron) and I will re-purpose them into a piece that Habitat will auction off.  I have an idea in mind and will be working on it over the next couple of weeks.  I'm still a little curious myself as to how this is going to turn out!


Aprons are starting to arrive.  It is fun to see all the different kinds. I decided to document them and will post pictures from time to time of what has been sent to me.  If you have sent me an apron, thank you, and keep checking back to see your apron and how it is transformed into a piece that will raise money to help house a family in need.

Here are a few of the aprons I have received so far:




Look for more pictures in another post.  I'll keep blogging about the process of making this project.
                


No comments:

Post a Comment