Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Simplicity

I'm trying to take this quiet selling season time to get caught up on my journal reading. As I was looking over my June/July 2010 issue of American Craft (I'm really behind!) I came across an article on "The Cult of Simplicity" by Akiko Busch.  I was struck by the idea presented in this article that things seem more simple than they really are.  You have to go beyond the obvious to discover the complexities. It made me think about the triangular shawls I have been weaving.  They are based on very simple weave structures, that of plain weave, basket, or twill.  In my case I have only been using plain weave which is a simple over/under weave. (Remember when you made pot holders as a child.  This is a simple over/under weave.) The equipment used to weave these shawls is very simple in design. And the actual weaving is not all that complicated.  However if you go beyond the obvious you begin to see the complexity of yarn choice, the color choice, the design possibilities, and the finishing techniques.  When you begin to push on these elements such as doubling the yarn or adding beads or embellishments you increase the complexity and decision making.  What started out as simple is now a thought process of complexity in motion.  How many yards of a yarn do I need?  How will these colors work together? When will I change the color pattern? What length will the fringe be?  Can that yarn hold up over repeated washings or dry cleanings?  Will the finished piece drape appropriately for the use?  And so on and so on and so on! 

My 4th shawl in the series is finished.  In an earlier post, Beads, Beads, Beads on February 5th, I showed pictures of the yarns I was going to weave.  I doubled up the wool and silk yarns with the rayon boucle yarn.  This created a thicker yarn but also added the movement of the variegated colors to the piece.  The shawl is very light weight and lacy looking.  The silk/wool yarn feels very soft to the touch.  It's another lovely shawl on a cool summer night or just to wrap up in by the fireplace in winter. Here are some pictures:
Cutting the fringe




Close up
I'm finding that same simple/complex factor in working with the Habitat project.  There is so much more than simply weaving strips of aprons into the grids to form a simple design.  As I spend time deconstructing the aprons and thinking about which ones will work and which will not, I am also thinking about the end product and how it will be hung. The hanging is the last step but needs to be thought about at the beginning. It may affect how I construct the piece. I've decided to paint the grids black so they will recede into the piece and not show as much. This is another beginning process that affects the end look. Painting will be my next step along with sorting the apron color strips that I am cutting.  Then I will begin to work with the hanging system as I decided that needed to be done first.  I'm thinking of using the knobs as part of the hanging system.  Not only do I need to think about how this will look and be applied but I also need to think about the weight of the piece and how it will be safe to hang on the wall.  This is my thought process so far.  There is more to come.

Here are a few more aprons I have received:




















I encourage you to look at the things around you that seem so simple.  Begin to think about the process that went into that item and the complexity to make it seem simple.  How about your I-phone for starters or that GPS that you just plug in the address and the voice that leads you along your way!  Where does that woman live anyway?!!!! Comments welcomed!  

4 comments:

  1. Hi Judy,
    I absolutely love this shawl and think the colors are "my" colors, so we must talk! Also, as I was sitting knitting this morning, I was thinking about your Apron\Habibitat of Humanity piece. Would you consider creating a 3D piece/pieces? I came upon this website, www.kidsandhope.org. This is a local young man who builds tent cities in NJ for "houseless" families. Then I started thinking about homes and kitchens being the heart of a home. What if you constructed "homes" that had the aprons as the outer covering (that is where the tent city comes in)? I don't know if any of this makes sense or if it is something you would consider. For me, it was a huge aha! moment. lol I hope you are well. I look forward to hearing from you. Always, Sunshine

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I love the new blog layout!

    Sunshine

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Sunshine, Your idea sounds interesting. Not sure I understand it completely but it would be worth talking about. This week is so busy for me. On a sad note, Peter Gomes (from Harvard MemorialChurch) who did Chris and SooAe's wedding died last Monday and the funeral service is tomorrow at our church. Jeff is doing the service and we have had to get the church ready for possibly 400+ people. I'm also trying to get my loom ready for the Jennifer Moore workshop on Double Weave this weekend.Tough week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sunshine, thanks for the comment about the new blog design. I'm working with a small business counselor and she is helping me learn how to better social market and network. I'm on face book now but I have to admit I don't quite get it! But I'm trying to learn!:)It's a slow learning curve!

    ReplyDelete